Normally around this time I answer the questions for my ‘Year in Review’. I can’t remember how long I’ve been answering those questions for, certainly back in the LJ days. It is a way to test my memory, and also for me to see how much has changed or stayed the same. I answer questions on the places I have travelled to, the people I have lost, the lessons I have learned, and songs that will remind me of that year. For me 2012 was so full I am not entirely sure where to begin, so I decided not to. This year, I have instead chosen not to reminisce and reflect on what has happened, but to look ahead at to what is to come and what I hope to achieve.
I have experienced some new and wonderful things this year, amongst them my first Olympic Games in my city, my first real Thanksgiving, and of course, holding my niece. However, this year more than most has been one in which I kept coming back to that same longing Belle sung about in ‘Beauty in the Beast’, “I want adventure in the great wide somewhere…”
In a year in which so much has changed I still feel as though I have been stood still. I have not been amazed. And I fear I am guilty of that thing I always warn people against; I have not seen the wonder in each in every day. I need to live again. To that end, I have decided to write my Bucket List.
For those unfamiliar with the term (or who haven’t seen the movie), a Bucket List is simply a list of things you want to do before you die. Perhaps not what most would choose to think about at the start of a new year, but I think it allows you to focus on what it is you want to achieve.
Here is My Bucket List:
- Camp under the stars like a cowboy
- Ride a motorbike across an open highway
- Go on a Safari
- Witness something wonderful that makes me speechless
- Watch a Wimbledon Final in person
- Be in two places at once
- Make a difference
- Twirl beneath the Northern Lights
- See the stars arrive on the Oscars’ red carpet
- Throw a really good punch
- Catch a big fish
- Be a force of positive change
- Have more in my ‘Yes Column’ than my ‘No Column’
- Go on a roadtrip from one end of a country to another
- Fly a plane
- See the sun rise whilst sat on Ayers Rock
- Catch a ball in the stands during a baseball game
- See a whale in the wild
- Build a home (literally)
- Volunteer with elephants
- Watch a meteor shower
- Climb 14 flights of stairs without getting winded
- Find the Joy in your life
The last one is from the movie; I hope everyone else has that on their list too.
The list will change. Things will be added, others hopefully crossed off. I am a living work in progress.